The tragedy of the novel coronavirus in Iran passed a milestone today. At least 100,000 Iranians have so far perished from COVID-19.
Was it Inevitable?
Since the virus spread to Iran and the first instances of fatalities were seen, the mullahs for political reasons covered it up. There has been a systematic campaign of deception, lying, and downplaying of the scope. Security apparatus, namely the Revolutionary Guards (IRGC), took control of the dissemination of information.
The mullahs refrained from any meaningful lockdown or quarantining hotspots. They did not provide hospitals with required funding, equipment, and salaries for doctors and nurses. The regime refrained from deploying the government’s resources, particularly its financial and technological resources consolidated in the IRGC’s holdings and companies as well as by the regime’s Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei’s Headquarters. The Health Minister said that despite his repeated appeals since the beginning of the outbreak for the first time, only 300 million Euros was provided to the ministry in June, the equivalent of 3.5 Euros per person to confront the pandemic. Yet, the mullahs continued to launch expensive satellites into space. Concurrently, the regime pursued its belligerent and terrorist activities in Iraq and Syria and escalated its ominous nuclear activities to a new level.
The mullahs abandoned the obligations that any government fulfills when faced with emergency conditions. They provided almost no assistance to the people, especially the poor, forcing them to go back to work in order to survive.
The coronavirus crisis in Iran should not be compared with the situation in other countries.
In Iran, the regime and the virus are on one side and the people are on the other side.
In March, Khamenei openly said that he sought to create an opportunity and a blessing out of the coronavirus crisis. He and his president, Hassan Rouhani, pursued the strategy of colossal human fatalities as a barrier against the threat of an uprising and eventual overthrow and to pacify and demoralize the Iranian society, rendering it hopeless and paralyzed.
Iranians have paid dearly. Tragic scenes in Iranian cities, morgues, and cemeteries are daily reminders of the fact that the abnormal surging trend of the number of coronavirus victims in Iran is a product of Khamenei and Rouhani.
But the mullahs have failed, and the fear of a popular uprising has been a common thread in senior officials.
The fate of the coronavirus and fate of the ayatollahs have become intertwined in Iran.
Regarding the tragic Coronavirus crisis in Iran and more than 100,000 fatalities, Mrs. Maryam Rajavi, the President-elect of the National Council of Resistance of Iran (NCRI), said: This scale of the death toll is the immediate result of the criminal and inhuman policies pursued by Khamenei and Rouhani. This was entirely preventable. They are now producing a more massive catastrophe by sending children to school. Khamenei and the Revolutionary Guards do not spend even a fraction of the hundreds of billions of dollars they have plundered from the Iranian people to combat the Coronavirus. Nor do they even pay the salaries of nurses and doctors and medical staff who work around the clock and risk their lives and those of their families to save the lives of patients. Even though the regime’s experts and mid-level officials unanimously describe the opening of schools to be dangerous, by causing mass casualties, the regime seeks to create a barrier against the crisis of being overthrown and overshadow popular uprisings.
Coronavirus in Iran
Coronavirus in Iran
Chronology of spread of the coronavirus in Iran and the regime’s lies and cover-ups
The following chronology has been produced based on the NCRI’s statements in regard to spread of coronavirus in Iran:
February 21, 2020: Iranian opposition leader Mrs. Maryam Rajavi calls on WHO to send supervisory and medical teams to Iran
The mullahs’ regime, which had been falsely denying the spread of Coronavirus to Iran so far, admitted for the first time today the death of two Coronavirus patients in the city of Qom.
Authorities are refusing to announce the actual number of those effected and deceased. This is while the residents of Qom put the number of deaths at 12 and those infected at more than 200. The mullahs’ criminal cover-up has caused public anxiety, the spread of the virus, and a rise in the number of the victims.
March 2, 2020:
The death toll announced by the NCRI: over 1000
The regime’s official death toll: 124
Number of victims of Coronavirus in Qom surpasses 300
On February 23, Aboldreza Rahmani Fazli, the Interior Minister, admitted, “Some people recommended that we postpone the election. Regarding Qom, they insisted we postpone the election in the city. As the official responsible for the election, I did not accept any of these (recommendations).”
After weeks of lies, Rouhani admits the virus has spread to all provinces
Following the cancellation of all foreign trips for government agencies, today and after weeks of lies, Hassan Rouhani, who had suggested a week ago that “life would have returned to normal” by the end February 2020, reluctantly (4 days ago) admitted, “This disease has spread widely to almost all of our provinces”. Furious over the revelation of actual casualty figures, Rouhani lamented, “They give false numbers, and they claim that we do not tell the truth to the people.” He impudently added, “From day one, once we suspected the virus had entered the country, we immediately instructed the Ministry of Health to inform the public about the figures and the relevant information. We told them not to hide anything from the public”.
March 8, 2020: Horrific Coronavirus Death Toll in Gilan
Mohammad Hossein Ghorbani, the Parliament’s Health Commission Deputy Chairman, appointed as the Health Minister’s representative in Gilan Province two days ago, sent a confidential report to Khamenei’s office in which he wrote that 408, including six physicians, had died in the province because of virus infection. He added that 1,860 hospitalized patients were mostly in critical condition.
March 23, 2020:
The death toll announced by the NCRI: over 10,500
The regime’s official death toll: 1,812
A wave of arrests for rumormongering about the death toll
Blatant Lies by Mullahs’ President Hassan Rouhani
Rouhani: “We learned on February 19 that Coronavirus had come… Then the people were told. We did not delay even a day.”
April 11, 2020:
The death toll announced by the NCRI: over 25,000
The regime’s official death toll: 4,357
Yesterday, Mohammad Reza Qadir, director of Qom’s University of Medical Sciences, told the regime’s official news agency that 300 patients were hospitalized with acute respiratory problems and suspected Coronavirus infection, 19 of whom were children.
Hossein-Ali Shahriari, a regime’s parliament deputy from Zahedan, told the state TV Channel 5, on April 10, 2020: “If we remove the quarantines earlier than scheduled, we will experience a higher peak. There are many positive tests in Sistan and Baluchistan, and even in these few days, this is the case, and we are worried about witnessing a higher peak. The number of deaths among our medical staff has been higher than in the time of war.”
Regime figures vs. PMOI-MEK reports
April 16, 2020:
The death toll announced by the NCRI: over 30,000
The regime’s official death toll: 4,869
Cover-up in fear of a popular uprising
Civil Registration website shut down and medical universities banned from giving statistics
May 8, 2020:
The death toll announced by the NCRI: over 40,000
The regime’s official death toll: 6,541
Maryam Rajavi: under the mullahs’ rule, the people are extremely vulnerable in the face of earthquakes and the virus, especially in Tehran, with a population of 14 million. The mullahs have destroyed and looted all the infrastructure. Expressing sympathy and helping in this emergency is a nationalistic duty. Valiant youth and vanguard women in popular councils must take the initiative.
Despite Rouhani’s lies, head of epidemiology committee of Health Ministry warns of upward trend for Coronavirus in 15 provinces
Dr. Mohammad-Reza Mahboobfar, a member of the Coronavirus Prevention Committee, told the state-run daily, Vatan Emrouz: “The division of the country’s geography into white, yellow and red areas to fight the Coronavirus has no scientific basis considering the widespread outbreak of this mysterious virus in the entire country, and it is just playing with words. The President seems to be falsely optimistic by giving colors to cities and regions of the country weighing the Coronavirus outbreak in each region in this way, because there is no point in the country as a white zone free of the Coronavirus.
June 7, 2020:
The death toll announced by the NCRI: over 50,000
The regime’s official death toll: 8,281
June 22, 2020:
The death toll announced by the NCRI: over 60,000
The regime’s official death toll: 9,742
Mohammad Reza Mahboobfar, a member of the National Coronavirus Task Force (NTTC), was quoted by Mehr news agency as saying on June 28: “Three out of ten people in Isfahan carry the virus. With the Coronavirus spreading in the country, deaths are on the rise. I can dare say that two people die every 15 minutes (192 in 24 hours) because of this disease.”
In Tehran, Alireza Zali, head of the NCCT, told state TV yesterday that 399 people had been admitted to the ordinary units and 122 to the Intensive Care Units in the past 24 hours. He said, “The figures in Tehran are changing worryingly…For the first time, the number of those hospitalized has surpassed the number of discharged patients.”
Nahid Khodakarami, head of the Tehran City Council’s Health Commission, was quoted by the Modara website yesterday: “Since the beginning of the Coronavirus outbreak, more than 5,000 Tehran residents have lost their lives”. Earlier, on June 11, Zali had said: “The mortality rate in Tehran Province is much lower than in the rest of the country … The average age of mortality in Tehran is ten years older than the national average.”
July 13, 2020:
The death toll announced by the NCRI: over 70,300
The regime’s official death toll: 13,032
July 31, 2020:
The death toll announced by the NCRI: over 80,100
The regime’s official death toll: 16,766
August 9, 2020:
Member of NCCT: The first patient was identified in late December, but the Government engaged in a cover-up. The Health Ministry statistics are one-twentieth of the actual figures
Mohammad Reza Mahboobfar, a member of the National Coronavirus Combat Task Force, told Jahan San’at daily yesterday: “In late December, precisely one month before the official announcement of the emergence of the Coronavirus in the country, the first case of an infected patient was identified.
August 10, 2020:
The Jahan-e-Sanat daily was shut down after quoting Dr. Mahboobfar, a member of the National Coronavirus Combat Taskforce (NCCT), as saying that the number of patients and deaths is 20 times higher than the figures announced by the Health Ministry.
August 17, 2020:
The death toll announced by the NCRI: over 90,100
The regime’s official death toll: 19,804
September 07, 2020:
The death toll announced by the NCRI: over 100,000
The regime’s official death toll: 22,410