One to Two Million Iranians Will Die of COVID-19
Written by
Shahriar Kia
As the COVID-19 death toll rapidly increases in Iran, the Iranian regime’s officials are forced to acknowledge some dimensions of this crisis.

The state-run ISNA news agency quoted Mohammad Kakavand, head of Borujerd Health and Treatment Network, on Sunday as saying: “Our on-the-ground estimates show that 20 percent of the population in Borujerd (western Iran) have contracted COVID-19. We are on the verge of more than 50 percent of the Iranian people contracting this virus. Of this amount, three to four percent will die, meaning more than one or two million Iranians.”

In addition, ‌Behrooz Koleidari, Vice Chancellor for Treatment of Isfahan University of Medical Sciences, said on Saturday: “About two weeks ago, we had 320 patients hospitalized at various medical centers. This morning, that number has risen to 567, and of those 567 patients, about 136 are in Intensive Care Units. In addition, 74 of these patients are on artificial respiration to stay alive.”

The Iranian regime’s officials started a campaign of disinformation and cover-up of the COVID-19 since the very first days of this crisis. The regime’s President, Hassan Rouhani, has been on the forefront of this campaign. Now the rising number of coronavirus fatalities has forced Rouhani to acknowledge the severity of this crisis. Rouhani on Sunday said: “Around six months have passed from when this illness began; there is no vaccine; it may continue for another three to 12 months; therefore, we must prepare ourselves for the long run.”

 

The mullahs’ regime started covering up and downplaying the COVID-19 crisis. The People’s Mojahedin Organization of Iran (PMOI/MEK) announced on Sunday that the coronavirus death toll has surpassed 62,000. The rising COVID-19 death toll is a direct result of dismissive and deliberately harmful policies of the Iranian regime. The regime denied the existence of the virus for weeks in order to have a larger turnout in its sham parliamentary election in February. The MEK’s revelations and the international pressure forced the regime to acknowledge the existence of this virus. Thus, the mullahs’ regime started downplaying the crisis. The regime did declare a national quarantine but quickly canceled it and forced people back to work. The rising COVID-19 death toll is the direct result of the regime’s plans to resume economic and social activities even though there had been recent spikes in the number of cases.


Mrs. Maryam Rajavi, the President-elect of the National Council of Resistance of Iran (NCRI), in this regard said: “The increasing trend of the coronavirus nationwide as the direct result of the clerical regime’s criminal and inhuman policies. Khamenei and Rouhani are the first among officials responsible for our compatriots losing their lives on such a vast scale.”


Mrs. Rajavi further reiterated: “Instead of helping the people of Iran, and shutting down non-essential businesses temporarily, the mullahs sent workers and toilers to work, and yet they claim that the people observed less than 9 percent of all the hygiene protocols.”


Now as the coronavirus death toll continues to rise in Iran, the international community should take immediate action and independently help the Iranian people. Because as Mrs. Rajavi said: “The mullahs’ inhuman regime is responsible for the new wave of the outbreak and the growing number of victims in Iran. They do not think of anything but further plunder and preservation of their disgraceful rule.”