A former commander of the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) derided growing protests in Iran last week, blaming it on the main Iranian opposition and saying protestors demanded the complete overthrow of the entire regime.
According to state-run news agencies, Saeed Qasemi rejected reports that tens of thousands of people participated in anti-regime demonstrations last week, saying, “[It is claimed] tens of thousands poured into the streets. That’s not true.”
“Add the followers of Rajavi to the prisoners and you’ll get single-digit numbers,” he added referring to the historical leader of the People’s Mojahedin Organization of Iran (PMOI/MEK), Mr. Massoud Rajavi.
“In a [politically] polluted Tehran, they are showing their faces,” he added anxiously.
Speaking to a number of IRGC and paramilitary Bassij forces, Qasemi also said slogans chanted last Monday by demonstrators “were against the entire Islamic establishment.”
He told the regime’s forces to “be on alert for the enemy’s future attacks.”