NCRI – The Iranian regime’s State Security Forces raided people’s homes in Tehran’s Saadat Abad neighborhood on Wednesday collecting satellite receivers and destroying satellite dishes.
According to several eyewitness accounts, the forces entered a complex of towers that mostly houses government employees.
A group of forces went to the people’s homes while others climbed to the rooftops and took down satellite dishes.
Despite a 1994 law making satellite dishes illegal, up to 70 per cent of families have them and their use is increasing, state-run TV network boss Fardin Ali-Khah said last year.
On June 1, 2014, Mr. Gholamreza Khosravi, a supporter of the People’s Mojahedin Organization of Iran (PMOI/MEK) was executed. He had been sentenced to death on the charge of Mohareb (enmity against God) for allegedly collecting information and giving monetary assistance to a Iran National Television – INTV (Simay-e Azadi) satellite television station.
But despite these suppressive measures, a recent report by the regime’s parliament research center concluded that ‘these measures have not achieved the desired result but have brought a craving for satellite use in the most distant and poorest villages and city suburbs’.
The report says people are using the satellite dishes ‘to access news and analysis’ and thus the ‘the motivation to watch satellite broadcasts still exists’.
It added: “Not adopting a fixed and specific approach has meant that not all measures adopted in this area have achieved the desired result.