Al-Iraqiya senior official condemns attack on Ashraf

A senior official of al-Iraqiya bloc, which won the most seats in Iraq’s parliamentary elections last year, has condemned Friday’s attack by Iranian regime agents and security forces under the command of Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki on Camp Ashraf.

In a statement, Dr. Zafer al-Ani said the assault against the camp, where 3,400 members of the main Iranian opposition People’s Mojahedin Organization of Iran (PMOI/MEK) reside, did not only target the residents but it was also “an attack against the Iraqi people, Iraq’s image as well as its sovereignty and independence.”

“[The attack] reveals the extent of the Iranian regime’s meddling in Iraq’s political affairs. Sadly, it took place simultaneously with visits by officials of the fascist Iranian regime to Baghdad, the latest of which was conducted by the regime’s Foreign Minister, Akbar Salehi.”

He said it appears that the Iranian regime has made preparations for the assault, but stressed that “it is unfortunate for the Iraqi government and security forces to provide all the resources to the assailants thereby enabling them to commit their abuses.”

“This is while in accordance with the Fourth Geneva Convention and an agreement between the government and US forces, Baghdad is officially obligated to protect the residents,” he added.

Dr. al-Ani characterized the attack in the context of the fascist Iranian regime’s reaction to international resolutions calling to remove the PMOI from the list of terrorist organizations in the US. It was also a reaction to the recent Spanish National court ruling which seeks to brings to justice those in Iraq who carried out deadly attacks against Ashraf in 2009.

“The United Nations and the international community have a duty to urgently intervene to protect the residents of Ashraf and to condemn such assaults, while providing medical care to the injured,” Dr, al-Ani said in his statement.

Back to top button
Close
Close